Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Tarte Tatin


Here is a twist on the regular ol' apple pie that we all know and love. Inspired by Top Chef contestants (who were always doing a twist on a tarte tatin - Casey most recently), this is my take on the French Classic. I am probably cheating (like they did on the show) by using a pre-prepared puff pastry sheet, but even *I* am not that crazy. Puff Pastry is HARD to make. I doubt you'll ever see a croissant recipe from me either......

Tart Tatin
3 medium sized Granny Smith Apples
3 medium sized Golden Delicious Apples
1 sheet puff pastry (I used the Pepperidge Farm)
1 cup sugar (I used my vanilla sugar)
1/4 cup water
4 T butter
3 t apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 350F. Roll out the puff pastry to fit the pie pan. LEARN from my mistake.... be sure to spray the pan with non-stick spray or butter it.... oops, it was a bit tough to get out. Press pastry into BUTTERED pie pan.

Slice the apples into quarters, then thin wedges. Set aside for a moment.

In a small sauce pan, carmelize the sugar (and water). When the sugar is at the right consistency, remove from heat and stir in the vinegar and the butter. 'Wilt' the apples in the hot caramel sauce, then arrange them (in lovely concentric circles) in the puff pastry lined pie pan. (Wilting will reduce pie baking time and make the apples pliable.) Baste the apples with some of the caramel sauce, then bake at 350F for ~20 minutes or until pastry has cooked and apples are at desired consistency.

No comments: