Saturday, October 27, 2007

Its the Great Pumpkin Cake, Charlie Brown

Recently my friend Kathy suggested a way to make a really cool pumpkin cake using a bundt pan and some cupcakes. I have been super eager to try this - and I think I have found a recipe that will be great in the pumpkin. I worked on this recipe today to take to Lola's for pumpkin carving - and I think it came out fantastic. Now, I just need to figure out a recipient for the pumpkin cake....

Pumpkin Cake (inspired by Pumpkin Honey Cake, epicurious.com)
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3 t baking powder
3 t pumpkin pie spice
1/2 t kosher salt
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 sour cream (greek yogurt or plain yogurt would work)
1/2 cup honey
1 T vanilla
3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar (I used my vanilla sugar)
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 350F. Generously butter 2 8" round cake pans (or whatever cake pan you choose to use), set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar. Add the honey, sour cream, and eggs one at a time. Stir in the pumpkin and vanilla. Add the pumpkin pie spice. Sift the flour and baking powder into the batter, stirring to combine.

Pour batter evenly into prepared cake pans, bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes, until the cake passes the toothpick test.

Pumpkin Frosting Spread
2 8oz packages of cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup honey
1/2 t pumpkin pie spice
1 cup powdered sugar (perhaps more to fit the taste/consistency that you are looking for)

Blend ingredients in your handy stand mixer until smooth. Spread on cooled cake.

No comments: