Monday, January 28, 2008

Oatmeal Bars

Why does every oatmeal cookie or bar recipe call for raisins? I hate raisins. Except for those candy ones (also called whiskey candy up north, which may be why I like it). Therefore, it remains my mission in my cooking life to obliterate raisins from recipes. That makes me happy.

Oatmeal Bars
4 cups oats
2 cups flour (I used 1 1/2 cups flour with 1/2 cup of oat bran)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 t baking soda
1 t kosher salt
1 1/2 cups melted butter
1/2 cup maple syrup (honey would work as well)

Filling: 3 cups dried cherries/cranberries mix, 2 T lemon juice, 1 cup water.

Preheat the oven to 350F.

In a medium sauce pan, bring the fruit and lemon juice to a boil in 1 cup of water. Reduce heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Set aside to cool, then strain and blend to jam-like consistency.

In your stand mixer (or by hand... but why?) mix the oats, flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, maple syrup and melted butter.

Spray a baking pan (smaller means thicker bars) with non stick spray, then press half of the oat mixture into the pan. Spread the fruit filling evenly across the oat mix, then top with the other half.

Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

1 comment:

Keely said...

Currants! Zante currants, which are just like little raisins except without that stank-ass raisin flavor. That's what I use, anyway.