Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Three Ingredient Chocolate Cake

Well, I wouldn't have believed it. When I read the recipe, I didn't believe it, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway. I had to tweak the amounts a bit - the chocolate didn't look smooth and the eggs I had seemed small..... but it WORKED. And folks think it is delicious. And it is SO EASY.

Three Ingredient Chocolate Cake
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
16 oz semisweet baking chocolate (I used a 70% cacao with a hint of mint)
6 eggs

Preheat the oven to 375F, butter a springform pan and use a parchment paper round (precut, or cut one yourself) on the bottom.

Melt the chocolate and butter together in a bowl above a pot of hot water (it can be boiling, but don't let the bowl touch the water) - make sure the mixture is smooth. (I had to up the amount of butter because the chocolate mixture wasn't smooth enough - or thin enough to blend with the eggs.)

In your handy stand mixer (this recipe would not be possible without my beloved KitchenAid), whip the (whole) eggs with 3/4t of salt until the mixture quadruples in volume. Think whole egg "meringue" consistency.

Fold the chocolate mixture into the eggs, slowly so as not to deflate the eggs.

Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan, bake for 20 min at 375F. The middle will still be moist when you pull it from the oven, but will finish cooking as it cools. The cake will deflate some if you don't serve it immediately, but it is delicious, with an excellent consistency. Enjoy. I dusted mine with powdered sugar, you can be more creative with your topping.

No comments: